Friday 1 July 2011

A wonderful day at St. Stephen's

Today I met my team - mates after a long time. It was so nice to know that they missed me a lot. I could not attend my Psychiatry OPD because of my surgery. So I made my mind to go to the hospital and give them a surprise. Everyone looked lively, happy and cheerful. I must tell you that our Psychiatry department is all women's department. We have no male psychiatrist or clinical psychologist in our team. Being the only women department, we feel proud on our women power. It is so nice to see all the ladies at work and trying their best to provide the best treatment to all the patients. When I first joined St.Stephen's I was worried about the kind of team - mates I would work with. But I was given a warm welcome and accepted by everyone. Our department head Dr R is the most cheerful person I have ever met. She has charm which attracts the patients and her treatment is a miracle for them. Our clinical psychologist Dr S is a real sweet heart. She makes sure that I have my coffee on time. I do not like having coffee or tea but when she requests me to join her I am not able to say NO to her. On the other hand, Dr J is a very serious person by nature. She says that I am more like her in terms of clinical practice. She makes me sit with her during the therapy sessions so that I could learn. Dr J is fond of reading and you will always find a new book on her table. Her area of interest is addiction and adolescence disorders.

So I started my day by traveling in the metro train to reach my hospital on time. Dr S was amazed and happy to see after my surgery. I had my breakfast with her. Then our psychiatric social worker Miss A came and joined me and Dr S. By that time no patient poured in so we chatted for sometime. We discussed about the rebellious behavior of today's adolescents and how the parents can better deal with it.

While we were discussing this Dr R came and greeted us with a wonderful smile on her ever charming face. She was so happy to see me again in the department after my surgery. Ultimately Dr J came. She was having bad migraine today but she was enthusiastic to see her patients.

My first patient had depression because of various precipitating factors. He has no permanent job and has some financial problems. This patient is supposed to pay a heavy debt as he took loan for his daughter's wedding. His daughter's in laws did not take her to their home after she gave birth to a baby girl. I felt extremely sorry for that patient. Is it a crime to give birth to girls? I wish people realize the potential and importance of females and stop considering them less than males. It is so paining to know that we still come across such stories where giving birth to a girl is considered a crime. Is our country really making progress? God knows.

The second patient was an old lady of 75 years. She had some memory deficits and was hardly able to tell anything. Her son and grandsons were with her. It was really nice to see a close knit family. The grandsons were very anxious to know about their granny's condition. The support of the family is important in recovery of the patient's condition. The old lady is fortunate to have such loving people around her.

Then a lawyer practicing in the high court came to meet Dr R. She was her very old patient. The patient was diagnosed a chronic psychiatric illness many years and was prescribed treatment. It was so nice to see her doing well. She continued the treatment and felt much better. Dr R counseled her regarding importance of continuing the treatment as she was insisting to stop all the treatment modalities including cognitive behavioral therapy and medications. 

These three patients touched my heart. I hope that our patients do well in their life and recover.

I was tired after the OPD and everyone wanted me to have lunch with them. But I denied as I wanted to  write about today's experience. But Dr S wanted me to taste the sweets she made. She knows that I really like sweets. She makes wonderful Indian sweets with lots of sugar and milk. So, before leaving the hospital I had nice sweets made by Dr S. Our team has different food habits. Dr R and Dr S try to avoid sweets and junk food but they want others to have it and enjoy. Their wish is that I put on more weight. They say you are lean and we want to become like you. All crazy ladies. Both of them try their best to reduce their weight but fail to do so whenever they see Dr M's homemade cheese cakes. Dr M is a neurologist and a part of our gang. She makes wonderful cakes and pastries. So everyone waits for her treat. Dr M is herself a fitness freak. On the hand, I do not have anything during our coffee break unless and until Dr S persuades me. It is like a daughter mother relationship which I share with her. She is an excellent mentor and a very sweet person to gel with. Our department is never dull because of such wonderful ladies and their dedication to serve human race.
On the whole, my first day at the hospital after my surgery was really memorable and exciting. I will surely remember this day.

Cheers to our all women's team at St. Stephen's.

No comments:

Post a Comment