Tuesday 7 June 2011

Hormonal pills always troubled me

Hormonal pills are generally recommended as the first line of treatment for girls and women with bleeding disorders. I took my first hormonal when I was 16. I was unaware of my bleeding disorder at that time. I was never in favor of taking hormonal pills for treating my heavy menstrual bleeding. It was my gynecologist who convinced to start hormonal therapy. I can't believe that my doctor was not aware of bleeding disorders of women. She never mentioned about Von Willebrand's Disease during our conversations. But I never believed her words totally. I knew that there was something wrong with my menses. My gynecologist was rude and never gave me any chance to speak. She used to recommend the same hormonal pills to each and every patient. I call it generalized treatment. She never advised me to go for blood screening or meet a hematologist. 

It was really embarrassing for me to take hormonal pills at a young age. The stigma associated with hormonal pills dominated my mind. It was awkward for a female of 16 years to take hormonal pills for treating menstrual bleeding. The feeling of guilt developed in me. Ultimately I overcame my inappropriate feelings and started my hormonal therapy. The first menses which I experienced after taking hormonal pills were drastic. I had profuse menstrual bleeding. I was unable to attend school for a week or so. It was a tough time for me. I was regretting on starting hormonal therapy. The same bleeding pattern continued for three months. I went to my gynecologist to discuss about the drastic effects of hormonal pills. She recommended some other pills and asked me to start taking them. I stopped taking hormonal pills on my own. I felt cheated because it was my gynecologist who assured me regarding the safety in using hormonal pills.

Unfortunately, I had to take hormonal pills in 2009. This time I took Novelon (name of the hormonal pill) for treating my bleeds. I was aware of my bleeding disorder now. I thought of trying Novelon. But I was a fool. I was supposed to take it for three months. After three months I had to withdraw it. I mean, I had to stop taking it so that I could have my menses. Novelon can stop periods for atleast three months. I took those pills for two months. I made sure that my dose was not missed at any cost. I suffered from the side effects of Novelon. My ankles used to swell badly and migraine pain became terrible. I also experienced problems of water retention. Despite all these side effects I continued taking those pills. Before I could complete my course of hormonal therapy I started menstruating. I got my menses a month earlier. My bleeding started in the midnight. It continued for 37 days. There was heavy blood loss and I became anemic.

Hormonal pills never worked for me. They made my bleeding drastic. My menstrual cycles became short and irregular. I also suffered from its side effects. I am sure that I won't take hormonal pills for treating my bleeds at any cost. Currently I am taking factor injections during my menstrual bleeds and I respond well to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment