Monday 30 May 2011

Bleeding and my school days


My school days were not like a normal child's school days. Those days were difficult and challenging for me and my mother. We had no clue of a bleeding disorder in our family at that time. I started having menses ten years back and it proved to be significant event of my life. My bleeding disorder was diagnosed on the basis of my abnormal menstrual bleeding and flow. So, my school days were not easy and I never had fun. I was always sick and never participated in sports activities either because of my profuse bleeds or reactive arthritis.
One day I asked my classmates about their menses and its pattern. Everyone started sharing their experiences. I was getting an idea that my menses pattern was quite different from theirs. Then, suddenly one of my classmates asked me about my menses and its duration. I told them about my heavy, profuse and prolong menstrual bleeds. Everyone was astonished to hear my experience. One of them said " You are abnormal. No one bleed for more than 3 or 5 days. You bleed for 15 to 20 days a month . We don't believe your words". It was difficult for me to convince them about my menstrual pattern because I was undiagnosed at that time. I had no answer to their question.

It used to become difficult for me to attend school during my bleeds. Attendance was another issue. Fortunately my attendance never fell short. 

Because of my unexpected menstrual bleeds and other medical conditions I never lived my school life. I had few friends who never understood my bleeding condition. My teachers were very strict about academic performance. So I was always into books and never enjoyed my adolescence because of the fear of untimely bleeding. 
I feel that having a bleeding disorder creates problems for the sufferer especially for someone who is in school. No one understands the child's bleeding disorder complications. It is more complicated for girls who are in school. Menstruation is a natural phenomena and overlooked by many of us. My teachers had no information and knowledge about bleeding disorders. Only biology teachers were aware of hemophilia and they never believed that females could also suffer from any bleeding disorder. It is unfortunate to know that despite of tremendous scientific advancements in our country, school kids who have bleeding disorders are not treated and cared in an appropriate manner. The need of the hour is to make our schools aware of bleeding disorders and their impact on the lives of girls.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog will truly serve as an eye opener to those young heamophilic girls and their mothers who are still ignorant of their problem or having gt diagnosed of it, feels anxious not knowing much about how to cope with it better.

    all the best,
    tc,
    Krish, chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your wishes. May girls with bleeding disorders get support and care.

    ReplyDelete