Tuesday 31 May 2011

Doctor shopping

It was extremely difficult for me to get a diagnosis of bleeding disorder. My bleeding disorder was diagnosed accidentally. I went to the hospital for a Gastroenterology consultation but ended up knowing about my genetic bleeding disorder. I had been to numerous doctors and hospitals for my treatment. Sometimes I went to the doctor for my IBS and sometimes for my Raynaud's disease or other medical conditions. So in this way hospitals became my picnic spot and doctors my picnic companions. 

Coming back to Gastroenterology consultation now. The doctor examined me and advised me to consult a Gynecologist as soon as possible. He suspected some pathology related to my pelvis. There was some inflammation in my pelvis which was causing pain to me. And the pain was unbearable. 
As per the advice of the Gastroenterologist I went to a Gynecologist in the same hospital. She also examined me and started taking my history. Then she asked me about my menstrual bleeding, its duration and frequency. I told her that my menses were always heavy, profuse and prolong. I also mentioned about purpuras. The gynecologist got a hint and started asking about my family history of bleeding disorder. I told her that my granny, aunt, mother, cousin and sister suffer from the same symptoms. She immediately ordered me to get my blood screening done to rule out any possibility of bleeding disorder. I didn't ignore her advice and went for my blood screening test the very next day. At the back of my mind, I always knew that the way I bleed was not normal but never expected the prevalence of a genetic bleeding disorder in my family. Von Willebrand's Disease runs in my maternal family. The concept of hemophilia and other bleeding disorders was introduced to me when I was in grade 9. It always allured me. I was curious to know more and more about females who were sufferers of bleeding disorder. My teacher had little knowledge about females who suffered from hemophilia or other bleeding disorders so I could not get answers to my questions at that time. Fortunately, I was diagnosed with a bleeding disorder and got to know a lot about bleeding disorder and its impact on the lives of girls and women.
After a month my blood screening report came. It confirmed that I had a bleeding disorder known as Von willebrand's type 2. I was not shocked. Actually, I was waiting for the event to take place. My mother felt a little low and started blaming herself for transmitting the defected gene to me. She became emotionally weak and her sadness made me helpless. I tried to console her by saying variety of comforting words and quotes to her. But a mother cannot see her child in pain. The same thing was with my mother too. After a week we again went to the gynecologist to show the report to her. She recommended us to see a Hematologist. Now the real challenge came into existence. I remember that my first hematologist recommended me to start taking hormonal pills which made my condition worse. He never paid attention to my symptoms and always dominated. One day the doctor got angry and asked me to consult some other hematologist. It was a real relief for me. It is very important to pay attention to what your patient is saying. Neglecting a patient is the most cruel thing which a clinician can do. 

Now my search for a sensible and compassionate hematologist began. Ultimately I found a doctor who was not like my earlier hematologist. The new doctor gave me the charge to decide about my treatment. We used to talk at length before starting any treatment modality. It gave me an opportunity to keep a track of my treatment and how effective it was. My doctor has always been an understanding and kind person. He always considered my request and answered every query which I had. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of such doctors surviving in our country now.

So, after a long journey I found a doctor who always believed that patients are the greatest teachers and never ignored them. I spent a major part of my life in doctor shopping. What else I can say.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely Priyanka! Always the task on hand, in other words, the actual experience of dealing with something is the greatest teacher.

    Krish,Chennai

    ReplyDelete